Re: typos - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: typos
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 7:10 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 04:39:30PM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> > I'm not entirely certain this is an improvement.  Your commit message
> > I'd say is not true going by git grep "compression algorithm". There
> > are 3 matches in the docs and take [1], for example. I'd say in that
> > one it's better to use "algorithm".  In that case, "method" could be
> > talking about client or server.
>
> I am not wedded to this change; but, for context, I wrote this patch before
> basebackup supported multiple compression ...  "things".  I didn't touch
> basebackup here, since Robert defended that choice of words in another thread
> (starting at 20220320194050.GX28503@telsasoft.com).
>
> This change is for pg_column_compression(), and the only other use of
> "compression algorithm" in the docs is in pgcrypto (which is in contrib).  That
> the docs consistently use "method" suggests continuing to use that rather than
> something else.  It could be described in some central place (like if we
> support common syntax between interfaces which expose compression).
>
> > 0010:
> > I don't understand this change.
>
> The commit message mentions 959f6d6a1, which makes newbindir optional.  But the
> documentation wasn't updated, and seems to indicate that it's still required.
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/pgupgrade.html
>
> > 0011:
> > I can't quite parse the original. I might not have enough context
> > here.  Robert, Joe? (new to master)
>
> See the link in the commit message where someone else reported the same
> problem.
>
> > 0019:
> > -1. pgindent will fix these.
>
> But two of those are from 2016.
>
> Thanks for amending and pushing those.  There's some more less obvious ones
> attached.
>
> Amit or Masahiko may want to comment on 0012 (doc review: Add ALTER
> SUBSCRIPTION ... SKIP).

Thank you for the patch! I've looked at 0012 patch. Regarding the
following part:

-   transaction.  Before using this function, the subscription needs
to be disabled
+   XXX? transaction.  Before using this function, the subscription
needs to be disabled
    temporarily either by <command>ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ...
DISABLE</command> or, the

we can remove "transaction", it seems a typo. The rest looks good to me.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/