Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is that really a problem?  We typically only hold it over one kernel call,
>>> which ought to be noninterruptible anyway.
>>
>> During parallel bulk load operations, I think we hold it over multiple
>> kernel calls.
>
> We do.  Also, RelationGetNumberOfBlocks() is not necessarily only one
> kernel call, no?  Nor is vm_extend.

Yeah, these functions could call more than one kernel calls while
holding extension lock.

> Also, it's not just the backend doing the filesystem operation that's
> non-interruptible, but also any waiters, right?
>
> Maybe this isn't a big problem, but it does seem to be that it would
> be better to avoid it if we can.

I agree to change it to be interruptible for more safety.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center