Re: pg_trgm comparison bug on cross-architecture replication due to different char implementation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: pg_trgm comparison bug on cross-architecture replication due to different char implementation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 11:57 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> writes:
> > An alternative way would be that we store the char signedness in the
> > control file, and gin_trgm_ops opclass reads it if the bytes in the
> > meta page shows 'unset'. The char signedness in the control file
> > doesn't mean to be used for the compatibility check for physical
> > replication but used as a hint. But it also could be a bit messy,
> > though.
>
> Yeah, that seems like it could work.  But are we sure that replicas
> get a copy of the primary's control file rather than creating their
> own?

Yes, I think so. Since at least the system identifiers of primary and
replicas must be identical for physical replication, if replicas use
their own control files then they cannot start the replication.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada