Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 10:43 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 4/27/21 7:34 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 8:07 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> >> I'd suggest prototyping the use of BulkInsertState in nodeModifyTable.c
> >> and see whether that fixes the regression.
> >
> > Is this idea to have RelationGetBufferForTuple() skip re-pinning
> > vmbuffer? If so, is this essentially the same as the one in the v3
> > patch?
> >

> I don't think it is the same approach - it's a bit hard to follow what
> exactly happens in RelationGetBufferForTuple, but AFAICS it always
> starts with vmbuffer = InvalidBuffer, so it may pin the vmbuffer quite
> often, no?

With that patch, we pin the vmbuffer only when inserting a frozen
tuple into an empty page. That is, when inserting a frozen tuple into
an empty page, we pin the vmbuffer and heap_insert() will mark the
page all-visible and set all-frozen bit on vm. And from the next
insertion (into the same page) until the page gets full, since the
page is already all-visible, we skip pinning the vmbuffer. IOW, if the
target page is not empty but all-visible, we skip pinning the
vmbuffer. We pin the vmbuffer only once per heap page used during
insertion.

> What Andres is suggesting (I think) is to modify ExecInsert() to pass a
> valid bistate to table_tuple_insert, instead of just NULL, and store the
> vmbuffer in it.

Understood. This approach keeps using the same vmbuffer until we need
another vm page corresponding to the target heap page, which seems
better.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada