Re: Design of pg_stat_subscription_workers vs pgstats - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Masahiko Sawada
Subject Re: Design of pg_stat_subscription_workers vs pgstats
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 8:36 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 5:49 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The stats system isn't geared towards storing error messages and
> > > such. Generally it is about storing counts of events etc, not about
> > > information about a single event. Obviously there are a few cases where that
> > > boundary isn't that clear...
> > >

> > True, in the beginning, we discussed this information to be stored in
> > system catalog [1] (See .... Also, I am thinking that instead of a
> > stat view, do we need to consider having a system table .. ) but later
> > discussion led us to store this as stats.
> >
> > > IOW, storing information like:
> > > - subscription oid
> > > - retryable error count
> > > - hard error count
> > > - #replicated inserts
> > > - #replicated updates
> > > - #replicated deletes
> > >
> > > is what pgstats is for.
> > >

> > Some of this and similar ((like error count, last_error_time)) is
> > present in stats and something on the lines of the other information
> > is proposed in [2] (xacts successfully replicated (committed),
> > aborted, etc) to be stored along with it.
> >
> > > But not
> > > - subscription oid
> > > - error message
> > > - xid of error
> > > - ...
> > >

> > I think from the current set of things we are capturing, the other
> > thing in this list will be error_command (insert/update/delete..) and
> > or probably error_code. So, we can keep this information in a system
> > table.
>
> Agreed. Also, we can have also commit-LSN or replace error-XID with error-LSN?
>

> > Based on this discussion, it appears to me what we want here is to
> > store the error info in some persistent way (system table) and the
> > counters (both error and success) of logical replication in stats. If
> > we can't achieve this work (separation) in the next few weeks (before
> > the feature freeze) then I'll revert the work related to stats.
>
> There was an idea to use shmem to store error info but it seems to be
> better to use a system catalog to persist them.
>
> I'll summarize changes we discussed and make a plan of changes and
> feature designs toward the feature freeze (and v16). I think that once
> we get a consensus on them we can start implementation and move it
> forward.

Here is the summary of the discussion, changes, and plan.

1. Move some error information such as the error message to a new
system catalog, pg_subscription_error. The pg_subscription_error table
would have the following columns:

* sesubid : subscription Oid.
* serelid : relation Oid (NULL for apply worker).
* seerrlsn : commit-LSN or the error transaction.
* seerrcmd : command (INSERT, UPDATE, etc.) of the error transaction.
* seerrmsg : error message

The tuple is inserted or updated when an apply worker or a tablesync
worker raises an error. If the same error occurs in a row, the update
is skipped. The tuple is removed in the following cases:

* the subscription is dropped.
* the table is dropped.
* the table is removed from the subscription.
* the worker successfully committed a non-empty transaction.

With this change, pg_stat_subscription_workers will be like:

* subid
* subname
* subrelid
* error_count
* last_error_timestamp

This view will be extended by adding transaction statistics proposed
on another thread[1].

2. Fix a bug in pg_stat_subscription_workers. As pointed out by
Andres, there is a bug in pg_stat_subscription_workers; it doesn't
drop entries for already-dropped tables. We need to fix it.

3. Show commit-LSN of the error transaction in errcontext. Currently,
we show XID and commit timestamp in the errcontext. But given that we
use LSN in pg_subscriptoin_error, it's better to show commit-LSN as
well (or instead of error-XID).

4. Skipping the particular conflicted transaction. There are two proposals:

4-1. Use the existing replication_origin_advance() SQL function. We
don't need to add any additional syntax, instead use
replication_origin_advance() with the error-LSN reported in either
pg_subscription_error or server logs to skip the particular
transaction.

4-2. Introduce a new syntax like ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SKIP. This
proposal further has two options: (1) the user specifies error-LSN
manually and (2) the user just enables skipping behavior and error-LSN
is automatically fetched from pg_subscription_error. In any way, the
command raises an error when there is no error entry in
pg_subscription_error.

We can discuss this item for details on the original thread.

5. Record skipped data to the system catalog, say
pg_subscription_conflict_history so that there is a chance to analyze
and recover. The pg_subscription_conflict_history I'm thinking is that
we record the following of all skipped changes:

* command (INSERT, UPDATE etc.)
* commit-LSN
* before row (in json format?)
* after row (in json format?)

Given that we end up writing a huge amount of history if the
transaction is very large and I think there are peoples who want to
check what changes will be skipped together before enabling skipping
behavior, I think it could be optional. Therefore I think we can
provide an option for ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SKIP to whether the
skipped data is recorded or not and to the
pg_subscription_conflict_history or server logs. We can discuss the
details in a new thread.

4 and 5 might be better introduced together but I think since the user
is able to check what changes will be skipped on the publisher side we
can do 5 for v16. Feedback and comments are very welcome.

Regards,

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/OSBPR01MB48887CA8F40C8D984A6DC00CED199@OSBPR01MB4888.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

--