Re: Looking for feedback and contributions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michel Pelletier
Subject Re: Looking for feedback and contributions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 9:32 AM Bernard Quatermass <toolsmith@quatermass.co.uk> wrote:
Apologies if this isn’t the right place for this.

I have created a helper daemon “jpigd”, FastCGI JSON Postgresql Gateway

A tool to aid the elimination of CGI scripts on web servers and moving all the business functionality into the database server along with the rest the business storage logic.

It is a fast-cgi handler that simply calls an SQL function with POST data as the first parameter and JSON encoded version of the CGI environment as the second parameter.

A more thorough description can be found in the project README at

The idea being that there is a whole class of applications that are primarily database interaction only and where traditional middleware (php/perl/java/node) is redundant.

Hi Bernard,

This looks cool!  I personally think it's a great pattern, and you can find similar tools that take this approach to varying degrees.  Here's the ones I know about.

The key is that they are all fairly "stateless", in that they don't contain any application logic in themselves, but rely on the database for all application functionality and only as as "connectors", loosely speaking, from the network to the db.  Hasura is the only one I don't have much experience with, so perhaps someone can correct me on that if I've got it wrong.

Your tool looks much simpler and FastCGI specific, which is an advantage I'm sure for your uses.  I encourage you to continue to elaborate the idea, I think this entire toolspace is pretty ripe for innovation.

-Michel

At this point I’m just looking for thoughts, comments, suggestions, possible sample apps (or suggestions for same), help with documenting the locked-down user approach.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can give.

—
Bernard Quatermass - The Toolsmith.