Re: Hiding a GUC from SQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michel Pelletier
Subject Re: Hiding a GUC from SQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 3:55 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Michel Pelletier <pelletier.michel@gmail.com> writes:
> In my extension pgsodium I'm defining a custom variable at startup to store
> a key:

> https://github.com/michelp/pgsodium/blob/master/src/pgsodium.c#L1107

> I'm using the flags GUC_NO_SHOW_ALL | GUC_NO_RESET_ALL | GUC_NOT_IN_SAMPLE
> | GUC_DISALLOW_IN_FILE, and a custom "no show" show hook that obscures the
> value.  This idea was inspired from the pgcryptokey module from Bruce
> Momjian.

I guess I'm wondering why you're making it a GUC at all, if you don't
want any of the GUC facilities to apply.

An excellent point as it's loaded pre-fork I guess I don't need any of that stuff.

It seems like if you want to be this paranoid, you'd be better off
not exposing the variable to the GUC machinery in the first place.
You could use a custom set-function (like setseed) to replace the one
bit of functionality you do want.

Thanks!  I've implemented your suggestion similar to how setseed stores its data.

                        regards, tom lane