Re: parallel pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joachim Wieland
Subject Re: parallel pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> First, either the creation of the destination directory needs to be delayed
> until all the sanity checks have passed and we're sure we're actually going
> to write something there, or it needs to be removed if we error exit before
> anything gets written there.

pg_dump also creates empty files which is the analogous case here.
Just try to dump a nonexistant database for example (this also shows
that delaying won't help...).

> Maybe pg_dump -F d should be prepared to accept an empty directory as well as a
> non-existent directory, just as initdb can.

That sounds like a good compromise. I'll implement that.

> Second, all the PrintStatus traces are annoying and need to be removed, or
> perhaps better only output in debugging mode (using ahlog() instead of just
> printf())

Sure, PrintStatus is just there for now to see what's going on. My
plan was to remove it entirely in the final patch.

Joachim