Re: Parallel threads in query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Paul Ramsey
Subject Re: Parallel threads in query
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 2:11 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski <me@komzpa.net> writes:
> Question is, what's the best policy to allocate cores so we can play nice
> with rest of postgres?

There is not, because we do not use or support multiple threads inside
a Postgres backend, and have no intention of doing so any time soon.

As a practical matter though, if we're multi-threading  a heavy PostGIS function, presumably simply grabbing *every* core is not a recommended or friendly practice. My finger-in-the-wind guess would be that the value of max_parallel_workers_per_gather would be the most reasonable value to use to limit the number of cores a parallel PostGIS function should use. Does that make sense?