Re: Need Help On Upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johnathan Tiamoh
Subject Re: Need Help On Upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
Ok Adrian,

Postgres 9.5

    postgresql.conf

       password_encryption  = ?  md5  ====> wish is the default for 9.5

    pg_hba.conf    -----------------> md5

        Provide the relevant lines

Postgres 14.8

    postgresql.conf

       password_encryption  = ?   scram-sha-256  ====> wish is the default for 14.8

    pg_hba.conf      md5

Thank you.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 3:38 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 7/10/23 11:15, Johnathan Tiamoh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I upgraded from postgresql 9.5 to 14.8. After the upgrade users were not
> able to connect due to password hash.
>
> The password encryption was on scram-sha-256. The password hash was on
> md5. in the pg_hba.conf file the authentication method was md5. I do not
> know why users could not connect because as per postgresql
> documentation, that should work.

1) You are going to have to be more specific about where and what the
settings are or where for both Postgres versions and the *.conf files. So:

Postgres 9.5

    postgresql.conf

       password_encryption  = ?

    pg_hba.conf

        Provide the relevant lines

Postgres 14.8

    postgresql.conf

       password_encryption  = ?

    pg_hba.conf

        Provide the relevant lines

2) Provide the error messages received when trying to connect.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com