Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Benjamin Scherrey
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com>)
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:12 AM, Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2018, at 12:06, Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey@proteus-tech.com> wrote:
> Doesn't that 20 years of results pretty clearly demonstrate that this community does not gain an advantage for adopting a CoC?

Not at all.  The need for a CoC is not theoretical.  Real people, recently, have left the community due to harassment, and there was no system within the community to report and deal with that harassment.

I keep hearing this claim. I've followed up and tried to verify them. Sorry but "trust me" doesn't cut it here any more than "trust me this will make Postgres go faster" would on a code change. What's the context for this? What evidence do we have that indicates this CoC would have likely resulted in a different outcome? Without that then your claim does not even rise up to the standard of theoretical. Frankly this claim does not seem very plausible to me at all. Let's try to keep our standards here. I'm not trying to harp on you personally, it's just that you're the unlucky umpteenth time I've seen this claim made with zero satisfaction.

 -- Ben Scherrey