Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 2018-06-06 02:20:45 +0700, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:12 AM, Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:
>

> > > On Jun 5, 2018, at 12:06, Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey@proteus-tech.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Doesn't that 20 years of results pretty clearly demonstrate that this
> > community does not gain an advantage for adopting a CoC?
> >
> > Not at all.  The need for a CoC is not theoretical.  Real people,
> > recently, have left the community due to harassment, and there was no
> > system within the community to report and deal with that harassment.
> >

> I keep hearing this claim. I've followed up and tried to verify them.

What would satisfy you? Dishing out all the details for everyone to see?
That'd both personally effect the victim and the alleged perpetrator,
and have potential legal implications.  At some point you're going to
have to trust that community stewards are working in good faith (which
doesn't imply agreeing on everything) and not trying to just screw with
you for the sake of it.

> Sorry but "trust me" doesn't cut it here any more than "trust me this
> will make Postgres go faster" would on a code change.

You do trust us to run code on your systems without having read every
line.

Greetings,

Andres Freund