Re: Greenplum warning message - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Per Wigren
Subject Re: Greenplum warning message
Date
List pgadmin-support
No, they have just started the process of merging upstream, starting with the same version they forked from, then merging forward a few commits at at time. That is a huge undertaking so I suspect that it will take quite a while before there is a stable release based on modern PostgreSQL.

I would very much like to have the warning dialog removed before the next pgAdmin3 release. Everything I have tried works as good as with PostgreSQL 9.4:
 * Connecting
 * Running queries
 * Viewing Greenplum specific explain plans
 * Table definitions show Greenplum specific syntax like DISTRIBUTED BY
 * Editing functions, views and rules work
 * Other Greenplum specific things like viewing Resource Queues and External Tables (similar to foreign tables) work properly
 * Table properties/statistics/dependencies/dependents work
 * Creating/dropping/modifying users/roles work
 * Server status works

// Per

tis 1 dec. 2015 kl 13:09 skrev Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org>:
On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Per Wigren <per.wigren@gmail.com> wrote:

>> What version does GP report itself as if you do "SELECT version()"?
>>

> PostgreSQL 8.2.15 (Greenplum Database 4.3.6.1 build 2) on
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.4.2 compiled on Oct  1
> 2015 15:14:22
>
> It was originally forked from PostgreSQL 8.2.15 but they have backported
> and/or developed many of the features of newer versions in parallel (no pun
> intended), including protocol and system table changes used by modern
> drivers and client tools like pgAdmin.

I thought the code they were releasing was supposed to be based on a
newer version?

In any case, in principal I don't object to fixing the message to not
be shown on GP, however we really need someone to test it properly
first to be sure that there are no problems. At one point that was
done by Greenplum, but not at present (as far as I know).
Unfortunately that's not something I or my team at EDB can do.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company