Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Avoid extra locks in GetSnapshotData if old_snapshot_threshold < - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Avoid extra locks in GetSnapshotData if old_snapshot_threshold <
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>> [ANALYZE of index with expression may fail to update statistics
>> if ANALYZE runs longer than old_snapshot_threshold]

>> If we can get away with it, it would be a rather large win to only set
>> a snapshot when the table has an expression index.  For purposes of
>> "snapshot too old", though, it will be important that a function in an
>> index which tries to read data from some other table which has been
>> pruned cancels itself when necessary.
>
> I will make this my top priority after resolving the question of whether
> there is an issue with CREATE INDEX.  I expect to have a resolution,
> probably involving some patch, by 3 June.

Due to 9.5 bug-fixing and the index issue taking a bit longer than
I expected, this is now looking like a 7 June resolution.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com