Re: GSoC 2017 Proposal for "Explicitly supportpredicate locks in index access methods besides btree" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: GSoC 2017 Proposal for "Explicitly supportpredicate locks in index access methods besides btree"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 12:36 PM, Shubham Barai
<shubhambaraiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Hash Index

> currently, I am trying to understand how the splitting of bucket works.
> should we acquire predicate lock on every page from an old and new bucket in
> case there is a predicate lock on a page of an old bucket?

For page level locking in hash indexes, I think it might be fine to
lock the first page of a bucket.

Also, in case you missed it, here are some guidelines I suggested.
There weren't any comments, which means they probably didn't offend
anyone else too badly.  They're just my opinion, but you might want
to consider them:

Each GSoC student proposal should be a PDF file of 6 to 8 pages.  In
the end, Google will publish these documents on a web page, so the
student should make each proposal something which they will be happy
to have future potential employers review.

Some ideas for desirable content:

  - A resume or CV of the student, including any prior GSoC work
  - Their reasons for wanting to participate
  - What else they have planned for the summer, and what their time
    commitment to the GSoC work will be
  - A clear statement that there will be no intellectual property
    problems with the work they will be doing -- that the PostgreSQL
    community will be able to use their work without encumbrances
    (e.g., there should be no agreements related to prior or
    ongoing work which might assign the rights to the work they do
    to someone else)
  - A description of what they will do, and how
  - Milestones with dates
  - What they consider to be the test that they have successfully
    completed the project

--
Kevin Grittner