Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

> PostgreSQL resource agent for Pacemaker removes backup_label in
> the case of failover to prevent the standby server from failing
> to recover from the crash.

Yikes!  I hope that the providers of Pacemaker document that they
are using a technique which can silently corrupt the cluster.

http://tbeitr.blogspot.com/2015/07/deleting-backuplabel-on-restore-will.html

> This is not so neat solution, but they could live with the
> problem for a long time, so far.

It can work sometimes.  It can also produce corruption which will
silently return incorrect results from queries for a long time
before some other symptom of the corruption surfaces.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com