Re: Missing important information in backup.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Missing important information in backup.sgml
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Gunnar "Nick" Bluth
<gunnar.bluth@pro-open.de> wrote:
> Am 23.11.2016 um 20:21 schrieb Kevin Grittner:
>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Gunnar "Nick" Bluth <gunnar.bluth@pro-open.de> wrote:

>>> to get actual _data loss_, you'd have to have a power outage in
>>> the DC caused by your PG server exploding...

>> If you value the data in your database you should assume that the
>> OS could go down at any instant without proper shutdown, and that
>> your storage system(s) could be lost without warning at any time.

> I've been in this business for 15 years, and had my share of outages.

> [enumeration of various failure modes and their respective impacts]

I have seen multiple posts on these lists where people say that
they don't need to worry about data written to the OS failing to
make it to storage because they a really good UPS.  It sounds like
you understand that, as important as it is to have a UPS, it does
not preclude abrupt equipment failure; but I fear that the
statement you made might reinforce that notion in some quarters.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com