Re: Why adding BEFORE TRIGGER affect client CPU? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Woodring
Subject Re: Why adding BEFORE TRIGGER affect client CPU?
Date
List pgsql-general
> What is the client server and what is it doing?

Our client creates a temp table
CREATE TEMP TABLE myraw(LIKE raw INCLUDING DEFAULTS)
We load data with a copy
COPY myraw (transferid, pollgrpid, date, data, rrdtypeid, error ) FROM STDIN WITH DELIMITER '|'
We do some checking on the data in the temp table
SELECT rawdate, raw_maint(rawdate) AS checked FROM (SELECT date_trunc('minute', date) AS rawdate FROM myraw GROUP BY rawdate) AS foo;
Then we save the data into the permanent location
SELECT transferid, pollgrpid, process_lastpoll(ROW(myraw.*)::raw) AS processed FROM myraw ORDER BY transferid

Our change was in the process_lastpoll() function.  We went from
      IF cntr THEN
         oval := calc_last_cntr(ptype, pgid, ds, pdate, data);
      ELSE
         oval := data;
      END IF;

      -- Insert data into table
      -- RAISE DEBUG 'Process: dsnum=%, polltype=%, cntr?=%, pdate=%, data=%, oval=%', dsnum, ptype, cntr, pdate, data, oval;
      UPDATE lastpoll SET polltype=ptype, timeslot=ts, lasttime=pdate, lastval=data, outval=oval, error=err WHERE pollgrpid=pgid AND dsnum=ds;
      IF found THEN
         RETURN true;
      END IF;
      BEGIN
         INSERT INTO lastpoll (timeslot, pollgrpid, dsnum, polltype, lasttime, lastval, outval, error) VALUES (ts, pgid, ds, ptype, pdate, data, oval, err);
         RETURN true;
      EXCEPTION WHEN unique_violation THEN
         -- Don't do anything
      END;
to this
      IF NOT cntr THEN
         oval := data;
      END IF;

      -- Insert data into table
      -- RAISE DEBUG 'Process: dsnum=%, polltype=%, cntr?=%, pdate=%, data=%, oval=%', dsnum, ptype, cntr, pdate, data, oval;
      UPDATE lastpoll SET polltype=ptype, timeslot=ts, lasttime=pdate, lastval=data, outval=oval, error=err WHERE pollgrpid=pgid AND dsnum=ds;
      IF found THEN
         RETURN true;
      END IF;
      BEGIN
         INSERT INTO lastpoll (timeslot, pollgrpid, dsnum, polltype, lasttime, lastval, outval, error) VALUES (ts, pgid, ds, ptype, pdate, data, oval, err);
         RETURN true;
      EXCEPTION WHEN unique_violation THEN
         -- Don't do anything
      END;

The calc_last_cntr() was replaced with the trigger.
from:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION calc_last_cntr(ptype text, pgid int4, ds int4, pdate timestamp with time zone, data double precision) RETURNS double precision AS $$
   DECLARE
      mcurr RECORD;
      res double precision;
      dwindow int4;
   BEGIN

      SELECT lasttime, lastval INTO mcurr FROM lastpoll WHERE pollgrpid=pgid AND dsnum=ds;
      IF mcurr IS NULL THEN
         -- RAISE DEBUG 'No previous data found for pgid=%', pgid;
         return NULL;
      END IF;

      -- Calculate the counter rate
      -- Check for div by 0
      dwindow := EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM (pdate - mcurr.lasttime));
      IF dwindow = 0 THEN
         RAISE WARNING '(%) Time difference is zero (% - %)', current_database(), pdate, mcurr.lasttime;
         return NULL;
      END IF;

      res := (data - mcurr.lastval)/dwindow;
      IF res < 0 THEN
         -- RAISE DEBUG 'Counter loop for pgid=%', pgid;
         return data/dwindow;
      END IF;

      return res;
   END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

to:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION cntr_lastpoll() RETURNS trigger AS $$
   DECLARE
      dwindow int4;
   BEGIN
      -- Log new value into history if has a date
      IF NEW.outval IS NULL THEN
         -- Calculate counter value for this DS.
         dwindow := EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM (NEW.lasttime - OLD.lasttime));
         IF dwindow = 0 THEN
            RAISE WARNING '(%) Time difference is zero (% - %)', current_database(), NEW.lasttime, OLD.lasttime;
            return NEW;
         END IF;

         NEW.outval := (NEW.lastval - OLD.lastval)/dwindow;
         IF NEW.outval < 0 THEN
            NEW.outval := NEW.lastval/dwindow;
         END IF;

      END IF;
      RETURN NEW;
   END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

-- Create Trigger to calculate counter values if needed.
CREATE TRIGGER lastpoll_counter BEFORE UPDATE ON lastpoll
   FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE cntr_lastpoll();