Re: transaction blocking on COMMIT - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bob Jolliffe
Subject Re: transaction blocking on COMMIT
Date
List pgsql-performance
No brtfs.  We are going to try turning off synchronous_commit
temporarily to see if there are underlying I/O issues.

On Mon, 24 May 2021 at 22:59, Alexey M Boltenkov <padrebolt@yandex.ru> wrote:

> On 05/24/21 19:24, Christophe Pettus wrote:
> >
> >> On May 24, 2021, at 09:22, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> It is hard to say as it only happens for 30s couple of times per day.
> >> Everything does return to normal after the blocking transaction is
> >> committed.  It could be a disk thing or even a network issue (the java
> >> app is on a different machine to the db).  But I never saw
> >> transactions blocked in commit before so was wondering if there is any
> >> rational set of reasons why it might do that.
> > One thing you can check is to turn off synchronous_commit (understanding the possibility of "time loss" in the
eventof a system crash).  If that mitigates the problem, the issue is likely the I/O subsystem blocking during the
fsync()operation.