Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Everaldo Canuto
Subject Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:31 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> After re-reading the thread, I think the original patch is optimal.

Hm, few other people thought that.

I don't wanna be irritating but here every postgres user I found really can't understand how the original patch was not accepted, people against it did not show good reasons.

> In particular, I currently hate how pasting a query with tabs screws
> everything up with unhelpful completions.  I don't want to add to that
> with the column example Tom exposed in [1] and especially with the
> plpgsql example Vladimir Svedov exposed in [2].

That seems like sort of an independent problem, though.  I wonder
whether it's possible to find out from libreadline that the input
text came from a paste rather than being typed.

> I quite like the idea of blanking the database name in PROMPT2 as
> suggested by Daniel in [3], I would be happy to work on that patch if
> others agree.

I think that the part of that about inserting a line number is important.
What about combining the two ideas: in PROMPT2, the database name is
*replaced* by a line number, while (trying to) keep the width the same?

If you guys can review the supposed consensus about this patch, I can spend some time and implement this PROMPT2 idea on different patch submission.

Regards, Everaldo