Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Everaldo Canuto
Subject Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Daniel Vérité" <daniel@manitou-mail.org> wrote:
Implementing it is easy, but it might be a hard sell for the project
because it creates a precedent.

 We already have "help" (without slash) so I don't think it is a precedent.

The next question in that list is "PostgreSQL DESCRIBE TABLE", so
why not implement "desc tablename;" as a synonym for
"\d tablename"?

I must be honest to you, I create this small patch to see how is contribute do Postgres and to check how is reception on Postgres community.
That said, DESC[RIBE] is on my list  for next patches but it is not a synonym to \d.

DESC[RIBE] must be a SQL command, very useful when you are not running psql. But let us discuss this on another thread ;-)

The question after that is "Show tables in PostgreSQL", so
why not implement "show tablename;"? Well, this one is
impossible because SHOW is already a SQL command that does
something else, so that's already the end of that road to
compatibility.

Didn't know about SHOW command. Are TABLES a reserved word?

Regards.