Re: PATCH: Attempt to make dbsize a bit more consistent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: PATCH: Attempt to make dbsize a bit more consistent
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 9:39 AM <gkokolatos@pm.me> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this minor patch is attempting to force the use of the tableam api in dbsize where ever it is required.
>
> Apparently something similar was introduced for toast relations only. Intuitively it seems that the distinction
betweena table and a toast table is not needed.

I suspect the reason is found in the comment for table_block_relation_size():

 * If a table AM uses the various relation forks as the sole place where data
 * is stored, and if it uses them in the expected manner (e.g. the actual data
 * is in the main fork rather than some other), it can use this implementation
 * of the relation_size callback rather than implementing its own.

--
John Naylor                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/