Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables
Date
Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 10:50 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Mithun for performance testing, it really helps us to choose
> the right strategy here.  Once John provides next version, it would be
> good to see the results of regular pgbench (read-write) runs (say at
> 50 and 300 scale factor) and the results of large copy.  I don't think
> there will be any problem, but we should just double check that.

Attached is v12 using the alternating-page strategy. I've updated the
comments and README as needed. In addition, I've

-handled a possible stat() call failure during pg_upgrade
-added one more assertion
-moved the new README material into a separate paragraph
-added a comment to FSMClearLocalMap() about transaction abort
-corrected an outdated comment that erroneously referred to extension
rather than creation
-fleshed out the draft commit messages

Attachment