Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Naylor
Subject Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 10:00 PM Mark Dilger
<mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Some changes were made on another thread [1] for the deprecation notices, committed recently by Tom, and I think this
patchset is compatible with what was done there.  This patch set is intended for commit against master, targeted for
PostgreSQL14, so the deprecation notices are removed along with the things that were deprecated.  The references to
right-unaryoperators that you call out, above, have been removed.

Hi Mark,

Looks good. Just a couple things I found in 0001:

The factorial operators should now be removed from func.sgml.

For pg_dump, should we issue a pg_log_warning() (or stronger)
somewhere if user-defined postfix operators are found? I'm looking at
the example of "WITH OIDS" in pg_dump.c.

Nitpick: these can be removed, since we already test factorial() in this file:

-SELECT 4!;
-SELECT !!3;
+SELECT factorial(4);
+SELECT factorial(3);