Re: sha1, sha2 functions into core? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: sha1, sha2 functions into core?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I would like to see whether there is support for adding sha1 and sha2
>> functions into the core.
>
> I can't get excited about that, but could put up with it as long as
> there wasn't scope creep ...
>
>> One thing that might be reasonable would be to move the digest()
>> functions
>>     digest(data text, type text) returns bytea
>>     digest(data bytea, type text) returns bytea
>> from pgcrypto into core,
>
> ... which this approach would create, because digest() isn't restricted
> to just those algorithms.  I think it'd be better to just invent two
> new functions, which also avoids issues for applications that currently
> expect the digest functions to be installed in pgcrypto's schema.

I would suggest digest() with fixed list of algorithms: md5, sha1, sha2.

The uncommon/obsolete algorithms that can be used
from digest() if compiled with openssl, are not something we
need to worry over.  In fact we have never "supported" them,
as no testing has been done.

Then we could also add hexdigest() which would fix whole bytea/hex
confusion without bloating pg_proc.

--
marko