Re: Planner chose a much slower plan in hashjoin, using a large tableas the inner table. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jinbao Chen
Subject Re: Planner chose a much slower plan in hashjoin, using a large tableas the inner table.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi hackers,

I have made a patch to fix the problem.

Added the selection rate of the inner table non-empty bucket

The planner will use big table as inner table in hash join
if small table have fewer unique values. But this plan is
much slower than using small table as inner table.

In general, the cost of creating a hash table is higher
than the cost of querying a hash table. So we tend to use
small tables as internal tables. But if the average chain
length of the bucket is large, the situation is just the
opposite.

If virtualbuckets is much larger than innerndistinct, and
outerndistinct is much larger than innerndistinct. Then most
tuples of the outer table will match the empty bucket. So when
we calculate the cost of traversing the bucket, we need to
ignore the tuple matching empty bucket.

So we add the selection rate of the inner table non-empty
bucket. The formula is:
(1 - ((outerndistinct - innerndistinct)/outerndistinct)*
((virtualbuckets - innerndistinct)/virtualbuckets))