Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kirk Wolak
Subject Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 5:51 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 4:25 AM Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> wrote:
>   In researching this problem, it appears that the decision was made like 17yrs ago, when windows did not have a realistic "terminal" type interface.

FWIW PostgreSQL 16 will require Windows 10+.  Not a Windows user

Re configuration flags: don't waste time with the old perl-based build
system.  The configuration should be done only with the new meson
love this feature.  It would be good if the tests in
src/bin/psql/t/010_tab_completion.pl pass on Windows, but if that's
hard, don't let that stop you sharing a patch.

Okay, my "hacked" version actually passed all the tests (manually) except FILE completion.
(2 versions of readdir(), readline() called it's own, but landed in ours [linker symbol issues]).

I understand the problems well enough.  I am going to change gears, and move to meson.
Without that, when I link readline() w/o any library/approach changes (mingw), arrow keys don't work.
(but Ctrl Keys, History and Tab do).

Thanks for the support!