Re: nextval parameter is not clear - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Kirk Wolak
Subject Re: nextval parameter is not clear
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 11:06 PM Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 11:43 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 8:42 PM Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> wrote:

..
The wiki is an excellent place to prototype and coordinate.  Beyond that, this idea falls outside what should be discussed on this thread.  Here, let's either patch the docs with some examples, or not.

David J.

David, as requested.  I took this page, and created examples in each row of each function.
I took a little liberty to normalize the warning about the error message between the last 2 functions (currval()/lastval()).
I also decorated the comments with -- prefix (because I HATE not being able to quickly copy code and paste and use it).
Also, I added a CREATE SEQUENCE in each block, so that the resulting code will work if you cut/paste it in.
[Who knows, eventually we could add CSS that adds the copy  and maybe an Open in PGFiddle someday]

Now I edited this as pure sgml.  I have no idea how to make this into html to view.  Do you guys use specific tooling?

Have a look.  Cut it to shreds.  But I believe this is functional and informative.

Regards Kirk

Apologies, I am  new to the tools and this approach.  I just got the makefile working for the documentation.
When I got it working, I tested copying/pasting each chunk.  And caught an error.

Here is the updated version.

Regards Kirk
Attachment