Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kirk Wolak
Subject Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 5:51 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 4:25 AM Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com> wrote:
>   In researching this problem, it appears that the decision was made like 17yrs ago, when windows did not have a realistic "terminal" type interface.  Assuming we target Windows 8.1 or higher, I believe this goes away.

FWIW PostgreSQL 16 will require Windows 10+.  Not a Windows user
Some thoughts:

Re configuration flags: don't waste time with the old perl-based build
system.  The configuration should be done only with the new meson
build system (soon to be the only way to build on Windows).

Perl?  I am building/running in VS2022 community edition.

https://app.screencast.com/RBwKbZeXFdBnO (screenshot) just working today (5 long days!)

I didn't quite understand if you were saying that readline itself
needs patches for this (I gather from earlier threads about this that
there were some problems with dll symbol export stuff, so maybe that's
it?). ...
yeah, readline does not build well in windows without some "tweaks", I am working with someone.
They are reaching back to see if we can get the updates pushed back into readline, as Tom
requested we not require supporting our own branch.  Currently it's a single patch file,
plus some "glue"... (putting the terminal in CHAR mode, and binary mode vs line mode, etc)

It's OK to post a work-in-progress patch to pgsql-hackers, even if it
doesn't work right yet.  With any luck, people will show up to help
with problems.  I am 100% sure that our Windows user community would
love this feature.  It would be good if the tests in
src/bin/psql/t/010_tab_completion.pl pass on Windows, but if that's
hard, don't let that stop you sharing a patch.

Thomas,  thanks for that!  So new to this, I didn't realize...  That's a great idea.
Honestly not sure how to even run it?

I probably should learn how to build with your build system.
And how to submit a patch.  Let me get it working better (I don't think it does multi-line yet).

Thanks for the support, it's encouraging...  especially when I know there's an 80% chance that
this may fail to get accepted for any number of reasons.