Re: ON CONFLICT and WHERE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jian he
Subject Re: ON CONFLICT and WHERE
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 2:55 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 11/13/22 13:07, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>> INSERT INTO books VALUES (12, 0, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)
>> ON CONFLICT (id)
>> WHERE updated IS NULL OR updated + INTERVAL '2min' < CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
>> DO UPDATE
>> SET version = books.version + 1, updated = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;
>
>> I have not used WHERE with ON CONFLICT myself so it took longer then I
>> care to admit to correct the above to:
>
>> INSERT INTO books VALUES (12, 0, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)
>> ON CONFLICT (id)
>> DO UPDATE
>> SET version = books.version + 1, updated = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
>> WHERE books.version IS NULL OR books.updated + INTERVAL '2min' <
>> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;
>
>> The question is why did the first case just ignore the WHERE instead of
>> throwing a syntax error?
>
> A WHERE placed there is an index_predicate attachment to the ON CONFLICT
> clause.  It doesn't have any run-time effect other than to allow partial
> indexes to be chosen as arbiter indexes.  TFM explains
>
>      index_predicate
>
>          Used to allow inference of partial unique indexes. Any indexes
>          that satisfy the predicate (which need not actually be partial
>          indexes) can be inferred.
>
> This strikes me as a bit of a foot-gun.  I wonder if we should make
> it safer by insisting that the resolved index be partial when there's
> a WHERE clause here.  (This documentation text is about as clear as
> mud, too.  What does "inferred" mean here?  I think it means "chosen as
> arbiter index", but maybe I misunderstand.)

Alright I see how another use of WHERE comes into play.

I do agree with the clarity of the description, especially after looking
at the example:

"
Insert new distributor if possible; otherwise DO NOTHING. Example
assumes a unique index has been defined that constrains values appearing
in the did column on a subset of rows where the is_active Boolean column
evaluates to true:

-- This statement could infer a partial unique index on "did"
-- with a predicate of "WHERE is_active", but it could also
-- just use a regular unique constraint on "did"
INSERT INTO distributors (did, dname) VALUES (10, 'Conrad International')
     ON CONFLICT (did) WHERE is_active DO NOTHING;
"

I honestly cannot figure out what that is saying.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

INSERT INTO books VALUES (12, 0, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)
ON CONFLICT (id)
WHERE version IS NULL OR updated + INTERVAL '2min' < CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
DO UPDATE
SET version = books.version + 1, updated = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;

Since id is already the primary key, it skipped the WHERE part. it resolves to the DO UPDATE part.

from test code.
create table insertconflicttest(key int4, fruit text);
create unique index partial_key_index on insertconflicttest(key) where fruit like '%berry';

In this case, the  on conflict clause should be exactly like on conflict (key) where fruit like '%berry'

-- fails
insert into insertconflicttest values (23, 'Blackberry') on conflict (key) do update set fruit = excluded.fruit;
ERROR:  there is no unique or exclusion constraint matching the ON CONFLICT specification
insert into insertconflicttest values (23, 'Blackberry') on conflict (key) where fruit like '%berry' or fruit = 'consequential' do nothing;
ERROR:  there is no unique or exclusion constraint matching the ON CONFLICT specification
insert into insertconflicttest values (23, 'Blackberry') on conflict (fruit) where fruit like '%berry' do update set fruit = excluded.fruit;
ERROR:  there is no unique or exclusion constraint matching the ON CONFLICT specification

--
 I recommend David Deutsch's <<The Beginning of Infinity>>

  Jian