Re: not null constraints, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jian he
Subject Re: not null constraints, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 20, 2024 at 8:08 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2024-Sep-20, jian he wrote:
>
> > about set_attnotnull.
> >
> > we can make set_attnotnull  look less recursive.
> > instead of calling find_inheritance_children,
> > let's just one pass, directly call  find_all_inheritors
> > overall, I think it would be more intuitive.
> >
> > please check the attached refactored set_attnotnull.
> > regress test passed, i only test regress.
>
> Hmm, what do we gain from doing this change?  It's longer in number of
> lines of code, and it's not clear to me that it is simpler.

static void
set_attnotnull(List **wqueue, Relation rel, AttrNumber attnum, bool recurse,
               LOCKMODE lockmode)
{
    HeapTuple    tuple;
    Form_pg_attribute attForm;
    bool        changed = false;
    List       *all_oids;
    Relation    thisrel;
    AttrNumber    childattno;
    const char *attrname;
    CheckAlterTableIsSafe(rel);
    attrname = get_attname(RelationGetRelid(rel), attnum, false);
    if (recurse)
        all_oids = find_all_inheritors(RelationGetRelid(rel), lockmode,
                                         NULL);
    else
        all_oids = list_make1_int(RelationGetRelid(rel));
    foreach_oid(reloid, all_oids)
    {
        thisrel = table_open(reloid, NoLock);
        if (reloid != RelationGetRelid(rel))
            CheckAlterTableIsSafe(thisrel);
        childattno = get_attnum(reloid, attrname);
        tuple = SearchSysCacheCopyAttNum(reloid, childattno);
        if (!HeapTupleIsValid(tuple))
            elog(ERROR, "cache lookup failed for attribute %d of relation %s",
                attnum, RelationGetRelationName(thisrel));
        attForm = (Form_pg_attribute) GETSTRUCT(tuple);
        if (!attForm->attnotnull)
        {
            Relation    attr_rel;
            attr_rel = table_open(AttributeRelationId, RowExclusiveLock);
            attForm->attnotnull = true;
            CatalogTupleUpdate(attr_rel, &tuple->t_self, tuple);
            table_close(attr_rel, RowExclusiveLock);
            if (wqueue && !NotNullImpliedByRelConstraints(thisrel, attForm))
            {
                AlteredTableInfo *tab;
                tab = ATGetQueueEntry(wqueue, thisrel);
                tab->verify_new_notnull = true;
            }
            changed = true;
        }
        if (changed)
            CommandCounterIncrement();
        changed = false;
        table_close(thisrel, NoLock);
    }
}

What do you think of the above refactor?
(I intentionally deleted empty new line)