pgAdmin file read question - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Anthony DeBarros
Subject pgAdmin file read question
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi,

Today I was attempting to support one of the readers of my book Practical SQL who was having trouble running COPY statements on his machine. He kept receiving the typical error one gets when a filename or path is incorrect or the folder is locked down.

e.g.,
ERROR: could not open file "/Users/xxx/filename.csv for reading: Permission denied HINT: COPY FROM instructs the PostgreSQL server process to read a file. You may want a client-side facility such as psql's \copy. SQL state: 42501

What's odd is that he can successfully use the pgAdmin Import/Export wizard to import the same file.

He's on macOS Ventura running latest pgAdmin and Postgres 15. I myself am on Ventura with the same setup and have no problems.

Any ideas on system settings he might check?

Thanks,
Anthony DeBarros