Re: BUG #15206: Can not import CSV into PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Milorad Krstevski
Subject Re: BUG #15206: Can not import CSV into PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Thank you for all the prompt replies and explanations about databases. I am a little new in this, so maybe I made some conclusions not quite right.

I was hoping that you can help me with issues like importing sql dumps from other sources (mssql and mysql), because I wanna migrate into postgre, and also how to import DDL from other tables into postgre and afterwards import the CSV files. Having them created manually is quite long.

---
Milorad Krstevski
M: +389 71 381 168
E: miloradkrstevski@gmail.com

On Sun, May 20, 2018, 10:15 Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:
On 2018-05-19 17:05:42 +0200, Milorad Krstevski wrote:
> So first I have to create all (for example 50 columns and define them in data
> type) and then import? That is not the case with any other db.

I am quite certain that it is also the case for Oracle and MySQL.

I suspect that it is true for all SQL databases, since SQL distinguishes
between data definition (DDL) and data manipulation (DML) statements.
to change your data definition as a side effect.

Which database can automatically create columns while loading a CSV file
into a table?

(It is of course possible to write a program which guesses the types of
the columns from the contents of the CSV file and then issues an
appropriate CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE statement. I wrote one 20 years
ago. But that's an application program, not part of the database.)

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | we build much bigger, better disasters now
|_|_) |                    | because we have much more sophisticated
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ | -- Ross Anderson <https://www.edge.org/>