Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Maxim Orlov
Subject Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 at 16:54, adherent postgres <adherent_postgres@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi Aleksander Alekseev
 I think the xids 32bit transformation project has been dragged on for too long. Huawei's openGauss referenced this patch to implement xids 64bit, and Postgrespro also implemented xids 64bit, which is enough to prove that their worries are redundant.I think postgresql has no reason not to implement xid 64 bit. What about your opinion?

Yeah, I totally agree, the time has come. With a high transaction load, Postgres become more and more difficult to maintain.
The problem is in the overall complexity of the patch set. We need more reviewers.

Since committing such a big patch is not viable once at a time, from the start of the work we did split it into several logical parts.
The evolution concept is more preferable in this case. As far as I can see, there is overall consensus to commit SLRU related
changes first.

--
Best regards,
Maxim Orlov.