Re: Synchronous replication and read consistency - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ravi Krishna
Subject Re: Synchronous replication and read consistency
Date
Re: Synchronous replication and read consistency  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Chris/Joshua

I would like to know more details.

As per this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/warm-standby.html#SYNCHRONOUS-REPLICATION

"When requesting synchronous replication, each commit of a write
transaction will wait until confirmation is received that the commit
has been written to the transaction log on disk of both the primary
and standby server."

Does it mean that, on the standby, when PG writes the transaction log
on the disk, it also updates the data buffers to make the transaction
visible for all sessions.

Eg:

  On the primary
     A big transaction committed
  Now if I issue a select on the primary looking for the transaction I
committed above, I will get what I want.
Will I get the same result if instead of primary I issue the select on
the standby.

Hope it is clear.