Re: PG and Temporal - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ravi Krishna
Subject Re: PG and Temporal
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Steve Midgley <science@misuse.org> wrote:

> I think there are a lot of theories as to how to make temporal table systems
> work. It hugely depends on your requirements. That said, the data warehouse
> community has built a kind of solution with dimension tables representing
> time, and fact tables aligning to those dimensions via relations. It makes
> certain temporal "grain size" problems much easier to solve (and usually
> faster). Though using Pg's date extraction functions I've gotten pretty
> amazing performance as well: basically creating on-demand time dimensions as
> needed.. Read Ralph Kimball's work on data warehousing for a good
> introduction.
>
> This isn't the same as creating versioned tables per your references above
> but I hope will be useful in your research..

The bi-temporal I am talking about has nothing to do with
datawarehouse. It basically needs two things to be satisfied

1. What was my table like as on a particular date. Like SELECT * FROM
TABLE  WHERE system_time  =

This is called system time.

2. What is the effective date of a row. Imagine interest rate which
has a start  date  and  an end date. This is  called business time. By
implementing business time in the database, lot  of checks  can be
pushed  to  the server (like constraint checking).

Currently  only DB2 offers full implementation (SQL 2011)  of both (1) and (2).

The add-on I  downloaded offers  (1) only  and  that too partial, as
there is no sql  support for querying a table  as of a system time.