Re: Soliciting Feedback on Improving Server-Side Programming Documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Re: Soliciting Feedback on Improving Server-Side Programming Documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:
Over the past few months, I've been familiarizing myself with postgres server side programming in C.

My attempts to educate myself were slow and halting. The existing server side programming documentation has some examples, but those examples didn't show me how do what I wanted to do, and my research-via-google was highly circular, almost always pointing back to the documentation I had already found lacking, or a copy of it.

Most of what I have learned I have culled from asking people on IRC, or bugging people I've met through user groups and PgConf. In all cases, people have been extremely helpful. However, this method is inefficient, because we're using two people's time, one of whom has to tolerate my incessant questions and slow learning pace.

Furthermore, the helpful suggestions I received boiled down to:
1. The function/macro/var you're looking for is PG_FOO, git grep PG_FOO
2. Look in blah.c which does something like what you're trying to do
3. The comments in blah.h do a good job of listing and explaining this macro or that

There's also a good deal of README files in the source tree, so I would add:

4. find src -name 'README*'