Re: Wire protocol compression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Re: Wire protocol compression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Aleksander Alekseev <a.alekseev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> > or on Linux TCP/IP stack level.
> >

> Yes, but if you want to have both compression and encryption it is
> crucial to apply compression *before* encryption and I don't see how
> this can happen with this approach.

If I'm not mistaken IPSec gives you both compression and encryption.
Just as an example.

True, but that setup (as well as any other hypothetical TCP/IP stack level solution) would require network tweaking on both server and the clients.  With protocol-level compression you can avoid that altogether and encryption is already solved with use of TLS.

--
Alex