Re: psql - -dry-run option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Re: psql - -dry-run option
Date
Re: psql - -dry-run option  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

Whether we really need a feature like that isn't clear though; it's not
like it's hard to test things that way now.  Stick in a BEGIN with no
COMMIT, you're there.  The problem only comes in if you start expecting
the behavior to be bulletproof.  Maybe I'm being too pessimistic about
what people would believe a --dry-run switch to be good for ... but
I doubt it.

I'm on the same line: BEGIN/ROLLBACK requires trivial effort and a --dry-run option might give a false sense of security, but it cannot possibly rollback side-effects of user functions which modify filesystem or interact with the outside world in some other way.

--
Alex