Re: More stable query plans via more predictable column statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Re: More stable query plans via more predictable column statistics
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Shulgin, Oleksandr <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> writes:
> This post summarizes a few weeks of research of ANALYZE statistics
> distribution on one of our bigger production databases with some real-world
> data and proposes a patch to rectify some of the oddities observed.

Please add this to the 2016-01 commitfest ...

It would be great if some folks could find a moment to run the queries I was showing on their data to confirm (or refute) my findings, or to contribute to the picture in general.

As I was saying, the queries were designed in such a way that even unprivileged user can run them (the results will be limited to the stats data available to that user, obviously; and for custom-tailored statstarget one still needs superuser to join the pg_statistic table directly).  Also, on the scale of ~30k attribute statistics records, the queries take only a few seconds to finish.

Cheers!
--
Alex