Handle PGRES_COPY_BOTH in psql for logical replication? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Handle PGRES_COPY_BOTH in psql for logical replication?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Hackers,

At the moment one can open up a replication connection using psql and use all of the commands available on this special type of connection, except for START_REPLICATION:

$ psql -d "dbname=test replication=database"
psql (9.4.1)
Type "help" for help.

test=# IDENTIFY_SYSTEM;
      systemid       | timeline |  xlogpos  | dbname
---------------------+----------+-----------+---------
 6146106447402521313 |        1 | 0/76422B0 | bw_test
(1 row)

test=# START_REPLICATION SLOT test LOGICAL 0/0;
unexpected PQresultStatus: 8
test=#

This is due to PGRES_COPY_BOTH not being handled in psql.  With introduction of logical replication I think it makes sense to support this mode, for the sake of (semi-)interactive testing from psql.

For example, one could try replication from different wal positions, different output plugins and/or plugin options, w/o re-establishing the connection, interactively by editing the command directly in psql prompt, as opposed to using pg_recvlogical and editing the command line switches.

I can make a patch if there's general interest for this feature.

Cheers.
--
Alex