Re: pg_hba_lookup function to get all matching pg_hba.conf entries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Re: pg_hba_lookup function to get all matching pg_hba.conf entries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 4:31 AM, Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:

Adding quotes to pg_hba_lookup function makes it different from others.
The issues regarding the same is already discussed in [1].

select a.database[1], b.datname from pg_hba_lookup('postgres','kommih','::1')
                            as a, pg_database as b where a.database[1]
= b.datname;

The queries like above are not possible with quoted output. It is very
rare that the
pg_hba_lookup function used in join operations, but still it is better
to provide
data without quotes. so I reverted these changes in the attached latest patch.

That's a good point.  I wonder that maybe instead of re-introducing quotes we could somehow make the unquoted keywords that have special meaning stand out, e.g:

database  | {$sameuser}
user_name | {$all}

That should make it obvious which of the values are placeholders and doesn't interfere with joining database or user catalogs (while I would call "sameuser" a very unlikely name for a database, "all" might be not that unlikely name for a user, e.g. someone called like "Albert L. Lucky" could use that as a login name).

--
Alex