Re: BUG #12834: Avoiding Disk Control Writes for better Laptop / SSD compatibility. pgstats - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bryce Nesbitt
Subject Re: BUG #12834: Avoiding Disk Control Writes for better Laptop / SSD compatibility. pgstats
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 6:19 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:

> Use "SHOW autovacuum" in psql to avoid being confounded by
> mind-controlling superpowers.

Indeed.  My mistake. Autovac *was* the droid I was looking for. On orders
of the Empire, that droid has been eliminated on twenty five laptops.
Millions more exist however, each chewing through the write cycles on SSD's
in a futile attempt to bring down the social order.

--
More seriously: I've been cataloguing what churns the SSD at idle.  The top
two are Google Chrome's constant rewriting of HTML5 Local Storage elements,

This will never show up in a PostgreSQL benchmark, and never cause a
problem for the PSQL team.  But it's eating through SSD's wherever default
mode Postgres is installed but not heavily used.