Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
Subject Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)
Date
Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi hackers,

Attached is sketch of small patch that fixes several edge cases with autovacuum. Long story short autovacuum never comes to append only tables, killing large productions.

First case, mine.
 https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAC8Q8tLBeAxR%2BBXWuKK%2BHP5m8tEVYn270CVrDvKXt%3D0PkJTY9g%40mail.gmail.com

We had a table we were appending and wanted Index Only Scan to work. For it to work, you need to call VACUUM manually, since VACUUM is the only way to mark pages all visible, and autovacuum never comes to append only tables. We were clever to invent a workflow without dead tuples and it painfully bit us.

Second case, just read in the news.
https://mailchimp.com/what-we-learned-from-the-recent-mandrill-outage/

Mandrill has 6TB append only table that autovacuum probably never vacuumed. Then anti-wraparound came and production went down. If autovacuum did its job before that last moment, it would probably be okay.

Idea: look not on dead tuples, but on changes, just like ANALYZE does.
It's my first patch on Postgres, it's probably all wrong but I hope it helps you get the idea.
--
Darafei Praliaskouski
Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa