Weird ranking results with ts_rank - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Javier Ayres
Subject Weird ranking results with ts_rank
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi everybody.

I'm implementing a solution that uses PostgreSQL's full text search capabilities and I have come across a particular set of results for ts_rank that don't seem to make sense according to the documentation. I have tried the following queries in PostgreSQL 10, 11 and 12.
In both cases only the word "box" is matching, but adding a non-matching word with OR to the query increases the ranking. If I keep adding more non-matching words with OR the ranking starts to decrease again, but I would imagine that the second option should have the highest score and it would start decreasing from there the more non-matching words I add.
Is there something I'm not understanding?

Thanks.

postgres=# select ts_rank(to_tsvector('search for a text box'), to_tsquery('circle | lot <-> box'));
   ts_rank
-------------
 0.020264236
(1 row)

postgres=# select ts_rank(to_tsvector('search for a text box'), to_tsquery('lot <-> box'));
 ts_rank
---------
   1e-20
(1 row)