How to get more than 2^32 BLOBs - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Donato Marrazzo
Subject How to get more than 2^32 BLOBs
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi all,

according this page [1], large object are limited to the OID range of 2^32 (since it's a 4 bytes number).
I'm working on a use case were there are many tables with blobs (on average not so large 32KB).
I foresee that in 2-3 years time frame, the limit of overall blobs will be breached: more than 2^32 blobs.

- Is there a way to change the OID limit?
- Should we switch to a bytea implementation?
- Are there any drawback of bytea except the maximum space?

Thank you!

All the best,
Donato