Re: A micro-optimisation for walkdir() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Juan José Santamaría Flecha
Subject Re: A micro-optimisation for walkdir()
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:42 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 10:53 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> > FWIW I just spotted a couple of very suspicious looking failures for
> > build farm animal "walleye", a "MinGW64 8.1.0" system, that say:
>
> walleye's been kind of unstable since the get-go, so I wouldn't put
> too much faith in reports just from it.

CC'ing animal owner.

<pokes at the logs>  I suspect that someone who knows about PostgreSQL
on Windows would recognise the above symptom, but my guess is the
Windows "indexing" service is on, or an antivirus thing, or some other
kind of automatically-open-and-sniff-every-file-on-certain-file-events
thing.  It looks like nothing of ours is even running at that moment
("waiting for server to shut down.... done"), and it's the RMDIR /s
shell command that is reporting the error.  The other low probability
error seen on this host is this one:

+ERROR:  could not stat file "pg_wal/000000010000000000000007":
Permission denied

This is a known problem, previous to this patch. There have been a couple of attempts to tackle it, and hopefully the shared-memory based stats collector will take care of it:

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha