Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Juan José Santamaría Flecha
Subject Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 3:48 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
James Coleman <jtc331@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 9:31 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Looks like you may not have Turkish locale installed?  Try
>> locale -a | grep tr_TR

> Hmm, when I grep the locales I see `tr_TR.utf8` in the output. I assume the
> utf8 version is acceptable? Or is there a non-utf8 variant?

Hmm ... I'm far from an expert on the packaging of locale data, but
the simplest explanation I can think of is that the tr_TR locale exists
to some extent on your machine but the LC_TIME component of that is
missing.

 AFAICS, the locale 'tr_TR' uses the encoding ISO-8859-9 (LATIN5), is not the same as 'tr_TR.utf8'.

BTW, what platform are you using anyway?

I have just checked in a Debian Stretch

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha