Re: BUG #17288: PSQL bug with COPY command (Windows) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Juan José Santamaría Flecha
Subject Re: BUG #17288: PSQL bug with COPY command (Windows)
Date
Re: BUG #17288: PSQL bug with COPY command (Windows)
List pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 11:45 AM Dmitry Koval <d.koval@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
 >We can check for redirection without calling
 >GetFileInformationByHandle(), please consider the attached patch.

There are doubts:

1) we always use system function (GetFinalPathNameByHandleA or
GetFileInformationByHandle); sometimes we use these two calls
GetFinalPathNameByHandleA + GetFileInformationByHandle
together (in freopen() case);

2) function GetFinalPathNameByHandleA is slower than
GetFileInformationByHandle (2-4 times).
Might be exist a cheaper way than GetFinalPathNameByHandleA?

I don't understand why this way better than using one call
GetFileInformationByHandle...

Personally, I think it is more readable, although a comment should explain what we are checking.

GetFinalPathNameByHandleA() is slower when there is redirection, when there is no redirection it's similar or faster than GetFileInformationByHandle(), and that should be the most common case.

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha