Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Juan José Santamaría Flecha
Subject Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date
Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 12:49 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 12:28 AM Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 at 14:07, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > No, I got this before applying the patch.  However, after applying the
> > patch, I got below error in the same test:
> >
> > postgres=# SELECT 1 from
> > pg_logical_slot_get_changes('regression_slot', NULL,NULL) LIMIT 1;
> > ERROR:  could not read from reorderbuffer spill file: Invalid argument
> >
> > It seems to me that FileRead API used in the patch can return value <
> > 0 on  EOF.  See the API usage in BufFileLoadBuffer.  I got this error
> > on a windows machine and in the server log the message was "LOG:
> > unrecognized win32 error code: 38" which indicates "Reached the end of
> > the file."
>
> On Windows, it is documented that ReadFile() (which is called by
> pg_pread) will return false on EOF but only when the file is open for
> asynchronous reads/writes. But here we are just dealing with usual
> synchronous reads. So pg_pread() code should indeed return 0 on EOF on
> Windows. Not yet able to figure out how FileRead() managed to return
> this error on Windows. But from your symptoms, it does look like
> pg_pread()=>ReadFile() returned false (despite doing asynchronous
> reads), and so _dosmaperr() gets called, and then it does not find the
> eof error in doserrors[], so the "unrecognized win32 error code"
> message is printed. May have to dig up more on this.

Hmm.  See also this report:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABuU89MfEvJE%3DWif%2BHk7SCqjSOF4rhgwJWW6aR3hjojpGqFbjQ%40mail.gmail.com

The files from pgwin32_open() are open for synchronous access, while pg_pread() uses the asynchronous functionality to offset the read. Under these circunstances, a read past EOF will return ERROR_HANDLE_EOF (38), as explained in:

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha